Peter Staple Jr. (referred to here as Peter Jr.) was probably born between 1671-1675 to Peter Staple (referred to here as Peter 1) and Elizabeth Beadle in Kittery, Maine.
Peter Jr. would have been a child around the time of King Phillip’s War – starting in 1675 when tensions between English settlers and the Wampanoag Native Americas rose to a boiling point. English settlers suffered burned-down homes and destroyed cattle while the Wampanoag tribe was decimated by European-borne disease brought to the colonies. By 1676 colonial forces killed the Wamponoag leader “King Philip” but skirmishes continued until 1678.
Several sources reference Peter Jr. as a carpenter who inherited his parents’ land deed in 1694, around age 20. Shortly after, on 8 January 1695-6, Peter Jr. married Mary Lang (sometimes spelled Long).
Peter 1 died on 6 Jul 1718 leaving Elizabeth widowed a second time. Peter Jr. died shortly after his father on 17 Dec 1721. Peter Jr.’s will, probate 6 Dec 1720 – 4 Jan 1720-1, names Mary and all of his children, as well as an inventory of £1108 which, by some rough historical calculation of currency, would be over $225,000 in today (2018)’s US Dollars.
Peter Jr. and Mary’s children were:
- Mary b. 20 Sept. 1696; m. Moses Noble 31 May 1721
- Peter (3) b. 20 Aug. 1699; m. Joanna King
- Elizabeth b. 10 Oct. 1701; m. William Ham 18 Oct. 1719
- Robert b. 1 May 1704; m. Hannah Tobey, 25 Oct. 1726
- Anne b. 16 Mar 1705-6; m. Stephen Tobey 25 Oct. 1726
- Enoch b. 12 Mar 1707-8; m. Anne Hill
- Grace b. 17 Apr 1710-11; m. Tobias Leighton 15 Nov. 1727; d. 7 Nov. 1736
- Joshua b. 16 Sep 1712; m. Abigail Fernald
Peter Jr. and wife Mary are believed to be buried in Old Fields Cemetery in present day South Berwick, which was Kittery at the time.
- Stackpole, Everett S. Old Kittery and Her Families, pg. 752. Lewiston, Me.: Press of Lewistown Journal Co., 1903.
- Stearns, Ezra S. Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire, Volume 2, pg. 600. Chicago, IL: Lewis Publishing Company, 1908.
- Ancestry.com, Historical Insights: King Philip’s War.
- Willis, J.L.M., Old Eliot, Volume 1, pg. 53. Eliot, Me.: Augustin Caldwell, 1897.
- Libby, Charles Thornton. Maine & New Hampshire Genealogical Dictionary, Part 5, pg. 656. Portland, Me.: The Southworth Press, 1928-1938.
- Staples Jr., Arthur B., Peter Staple Heritage Group (PSHG) Genetic Study
- Nye, Eric. Pounds Sterling to Dollars: Historicla Conversion of Currency. https://www.uwyo.edu/numimage/currency.htm